Skip to main content

Topic: Questions to the Administrator (Read 20745 times)

Questions to the Administrator
@Frenzie

I was wondering, why is it that whenever I Reply to a post....post a response in a thread....when I post it I get thrown out into the Index Page, rather than remaining at the just entered post to review??

Is there an option that can be chosen, on either my part or yours,
to circumvent this troubling 'feature' ?

Thanks

..... On a non-related subject, are all BB Codes available for our use, or must some be turned on/activated by you before we can access them for our forum usage?

I've tried a few from my/a personal list on one of my FireFox toolbars I've used elsewhere that seem inoperative here in this forum/bulletin board.

Thanks again   
  • Last Edit: 2013-11-22, 22:43:53 by SmileyFaze

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Questions to the Administrator
Reply #50
There is also a link for all unread posts.

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #51
 When I find it!. ;D

Reply #52

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #53
Next to "Mark all read"? Yeah, I was doubting that one because of a suspicion it might be a sort of other kind;)

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #54
Do you run some kind of analytics in the forum, Frenzie?
Are we already menacing Google's world leadership? :)

Visitants from Iran? North Korea?
A matter of attitude.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #55
In a manner of speaking. GoogleBot probably already mirrored the entire forum by now, but there are also bots visiting from the east:

http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.html
http://help.goo.ne.jp/door/crawlerE.html

Here's the OS stats:
Code: [Select]
Windows		86,318	68.5 %
Linux 29,561 23.4 %
BSD 7,352 5.8 %
Unknown 1,430 1.1 %
Macintosh 1,164 0.9 %
Java Mobile 133 0.1 %
Java 2 0 %

In browsers we have mostly Opera (58.9%), followed by Firefox (18.8%) and Chrome (11.7%), but the stats software probably doesn't distinguish properly between Chrome and Chropera. Then there's a bunch of mobile browsers, a normally fairly marginal browser, Konqueror (1.3%), and IE (0.2%) and Mozilla (0.1%) at the very bottom.

Interestingly, not all Opera browsing happens from version "9.80" (i.e. 10 and up), but a marginal amount happened with 9.64 and 9.23. There's also someone who saw fit to try MSIE 6.0 on the forum.

Oh yeah, and there's Elinks--presumably ersi. :)

Reply #56
There are hundreds of user agents......List of User Agent Strings

Firefox has an add-on extension called UserAgent Switcher

This enables any user to masquerade as any browser they please---mask their browser's identity.

There are about half a million Firefox users that have this ability----have this add-on installed.

What browser, spider/bot,  would you have me mimic? 

One press of a button.....done.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #57
This enables any user to masquerade as any browser they please---mask their browser's identity.

Sure, Opera comes with that functionality built-in to a lesser degree as well, and it's also easy to do using local proxies like Proximodo/Proxomitron and Fiddler. But I hardly think that's reason to doubt most people on this forum are still using Opera/Presto, and that Firefox is the second-most used browser. :)

Reply #58
Quote from: An earlier post by Frenzie
....But I hardly think that's reason to doubt most people on this forum are still using Opera/Presto, and that Firefox is the second-most used browser.

Never said that, just that anyone can portray any browser they wish, for whatever reason they feel they need/want to.

How many unique visitors pass here each day?

I doubt their numbers would/could ever justify a concern.

Only a conspiracy theorist would see any validity in mass usage for deviant purposes.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #59
It says on average 80 per day but I think it might including its rather incomplete stat of "1" unique visitor on December 14. In any case it's something like 80-100 per day over the past two weeks.

• j7n
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #60
ׂ
  • Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 05:30:19 by j7n

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #61
w00t. :P

Reply #62
Used FireFox v1.0.8 ..... can never get used to non-tabed browsers again. How did we ever live with them???

..... Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060410 Firefox/1.0.8

I used the portable version Firefox Portable Legacy v1.0.8

Dont see any difference to what I see with the version I am using (Pre-Australishit) now.

• j7n
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #63
ׂ
  • Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 05:30:09 by j7n

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #64
Quote from: Boss

What's the shit?

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #65

w00t. :P
A question to the administrator: wOOt does that mEEn?:P

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #66

What's the shit?

If you swear too much. :P But did you have connection problems or something? What do you mean?

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #67
Tell me something Frenzie, do you promise that you will never sell our emails, IPs and the such to no one?
Not even under torture?
You never said that... :)

Come on, make a formal statement...
A matter of attitude.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #68
I don't think it's called selling when it's under torture. :P

If this one doesn't suffice, some kind of terms and conditions will appear within a month or so. That's about message content, but the same applies to e-mails, encrypted passwords, and IPs.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #69
Uau, now we can quote just the part we want.
Thank you, Frenzie. :)

(I even forgive you that you are an atheist...   ;) )
A matter of attitude.

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #70

What's the shit?

If you swear too much. :P But did you have connection problems or something? What do you mean?
(Lose "selected" soon. Nah'ts ok for a while...)
I mean what is Elink? A sort of browser?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #71
Elinks is a text-based web browser. I use Elink as well as Links 2 and Lynx occasionally. If I recall correctly they all handle certain language-related issues better than graphical browsers, like falling back from ø to oe if ø is not available.

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #72
shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview
It's nice it exists, but...
When I first played around my current nettop being newly bought, I found that my two Alts have somewhat different meanings/functions, so I further restrained myself from hitting either of them - except in the shortcuts (eg changing keyboard layout). So to say: which of them shall I use? I fear the right one THE MOST! :scared:!!! (PS: I can't see any smilies in the preview mode, Frans!)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #73
(PS: I can't see any smilies in the preview mode, Frans!)

Are you talking about the rich text editor thingy or about pressing the preview button? I don't know anything about the first, while the second works fine for me.

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #74
I suppose that could be a glitch, and maybe not even on your side (some underloading of sorts ???).
So what about 'which alt'?
And one more thing.
« previous next »
at the bottom of a topic's page. I reckon they mean "previous/next topic"? While I, from the very beginning, was expecting to find some "previous/next PAGE"!
Does anybody here use this stuff as it is? For me - it's weird, so I, for one, would like the meanings to be replaced so that they leaf the topic's pages instead of - IMHO - unnecessary what they are... :bu: