Skip to main content

Topic: Travelling and such (Read 150 times)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Travelling and such
There's a way to share your trips, to make maps of them or whatever, but I haven't done it

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/make-interactive-maps-to-track-your-trip/
https://www.amcharts.com/visited_countries/

I haven't done it because I have not travelled much. As much as I have, I have mostly visited countries neighbouring my own, which is not too interesting. Other than that, I have visited a few penfriends privately, and I don't share that too much.

List of countries and places I visited, in random order:

Russia - Komi, Moscow, St. Peterburg, Tula, Pechory
Finland - Helsinki, Lahti, Turku
Sweden - Stockholm, Värmland
Latvia - a lot
Lithuania - Vilnius, Kaunas
Poland - Gdansk, Malbork, Warsaw, Krakow
Czech - Prague
Germany - Frankfurt
Austria - Vienna
Slovenia - Postojna, Ljubljana
Croatia - Istria, Zagreb
Romania - Cluj, Bistrita
France - Paris
UK - London
Greece - Athens
US - Florida, NYC
Costa Rica - Arenal volcano, Monteverde

Evidently few enough so that I can list them all like this.

The most obvious way of travelling is to go on a vacation or tour to a place where everybody has been, such as Canary Islands or Caribbean. So, how do you travel and where have you been? Do you prefer to rent a car, go on a guided tour, use public transportation, hike, or are you satisfied with what you see from the airplane/airport windows during and between flights? Do you travel on vacations, for business purposes, or more methodically as part of profession or way of life?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Travelling and such
Reply #1
I think the extent of my foreign travel this year may have been limited to three or so trips to the Netherlands, although in reality going by e.g. Liège is a lot more foreign than the Netherlands.

I won't take the time to list places I've visited -- at least not right now -- but in summary:

- Benelux a lot
- former West Germany a lot
- Chicagoland quite a bit
- Italy a fair bit
- former East Germany a bunch
- northern France a bunch

The rest starts to look more like individual places and cities akin to your list. Mostly around Europe, but also a few weekend trips from Chicagoland (e.g., the Dells, Saugatuck, Holland, Detroit).

I'd normally get around by public transit or by rented car, depending on the specifics. And of course loads and loads of walking (or "hiking" if that's the word you prefer for walks in the countryside -- maybe I'd agree to call a mountainwalk a hike :P).

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
My list of travels was exhaustive spanning my entire life. Many of the trips are recent. I have paced up lately.

I'd normally get around by public transit or by rented car, depending on the specifics. And of course loads and loads of walking (or "hiking" if that's the word you prefer for walks in the countryside -- maybe I'd agree to call a mountainwalk a hike :P).
I prefer to have everything within walking distance and stay on one spot as long as possible. That failing, I take public transportation. That failing, I'd rent a bicycle or a car, but things never got this desperate yet.

There's a difference between walking and hiking. Hiking involves staying overnight somewhere else than where you were last night and walking the distance in between. Or, it involves walking in some nature park all day, carrying all your meals of the day with you. Something like that.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
I prefer to have everything within walking distance and stay on one spot as long as possible. That failing, I take public transportation. That failing, I'd rent a bicycle or a car, but things never got this desperate yet.
Desperate is a funny word to use. :P In your average city a car would obviously be a worse way to get around, but on the island I'm from I'd definitely pick a bike (or perhaps a car or public transit) to get between places to walk (whether villages or nature areas).

There's a difference between walking and hiking. Hiking involves staying overnight somewhere else than where you were last night and walking the distance in between. Or, it involves walking in some nature park all day, carrying all your meals of the day with you. Something like that.
I might do the latter in the sense of taking lunch along (although not recently; think in the Ardennes, Luxembourg or the Eifel more so than around here), but am probably somewhat unlikely to do the overnight thing.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Mass tourism turned into a plague everywhere.
A matter of attitude.