Skip to main content

Topic: Compile Otter Browser for Athlon XP processor (without SSE2) in Arch Linux (Read 669 times)

• konstantin
  • [*]
Compile Otter Browser for Athlon XP processor (without SSE2) in Arch Linux
I have read in this thread http://thedndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=1505.0 that Otter Browser can be compiled for older processors too which lack of SSE2 instruction set. Temporarily I have to use such an old PC. Its performance is not so low, quite acceptable in fact with 2 GB of RAM, but unfortunately I am unable to install any of my mostly used and favourite browsers (Opera, Chromium, Vivaldi, etc) because all of them need the SSE2 instruction set.

As far as I understanded the thread states that "libqt5webkit5" package should be recompiled from source by adding some compile rules:

Code: [Select]
5. Edit your_build_dir/qtwebkit-opensource-src-version/debian/rules:

Find the "disabled_jit_architectures" variable and add "i386" arch to it.
disabled_jit_architectures := armel mips mipsel
# becomes:
disabled_jit_architectures := armel mips mipsel i386

So my question would be that how can I do the compiling for my AMD Athlon XP (1533 Mhz) in Arch Linux and where can I download those mentioned sources?

• Emdek
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Compile Otter Browser for Athlon XP processor (without SSE2) in Arch Linux
Reply #25
@konstantin, well, obviously you ran out of memory, I'm assuming that you don't have much RAM on that machine.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

• filip
  • [*]
Re: Compile Otter Browser for Athlon XP processor (without SSE2) in Arch Linux
Reply #26
Yesterday testing  "JSC_useJIT=0" seemd to be stable, no crash for about two hour of browsing.
As far as I understanded the thread states that "libqt5webkit5" package should be recompiled from source by adding some compile rules:
@konstantin
Unless you're getting "Illegal intruction" error even with "JSC_useJIT=0", you probably don't need to recompile webkit, since it's JIT that triggers it.
Of course, given that "JSC_useJIT=0" is actually the same as a rebuild with JIT disabled.

I'd test it, however my Athlon box has been retired ( PSU died  :irked:  ), shortly after I wrote that guide.

By the way, these C/CXX flags set in "makepkg.conf" should be correct/appropriate for your Athlon:
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -mfpmath=sse -mno-sse2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -mfpmath=sse -mno-sse2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong"
:)