Skip to main content

Topic: Windows Frustration Thread (Read 4935 times)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Windows Frustration Thread
Because of my uneventful minor upgrade I decided to reintroduce Windows 7 on one of my disks for gaming purposes. But during installation, Windows kept complaining about not being able to find or use a "system disk" (read: bootable partition), even though I explicitly cleared out an entire disk for it to do with as it pleased. I tried preparing partitions in GParted, but no luck.

In a last-ditch effort I physically unplugged each and every one of my drives except the one on which I wanted to install Windows. What do you know? It worked. The bottom line: this kind of stuff is why I purged Windows from my system in 2011.

• Sparta
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Windows Frustration Thread
Reply #75
last time i bought psu is $9 to replace blowned psu at computer lab.

it is brand new, not second hand.

my friend advice me to just replace the transistor if the coil arent burned.

i just  dont liked to be bothered with soldiering,  etc.
so i just grab a new psu at comp shop.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #76
Just replace the transistor? Easier said than done. First of all, a capacitor is more likely to be broken. If you're lucky it'll be visible on the outside by looking poofy. If you're even luckier you'll be able to still make out what it says on the  side. And you're luckiest if that's actually the only problem.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #77
Apparently Samsung hardware does not get along with Windows 10 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/31/windows_10_samsung_fail/

I have made one Windows 10 install. It was on an HP laptop. No problems have been reported after that.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #78
If what you've got is working perfectly, you have no reason to "upgrade." Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves.

That being said, Samsung still not having working drivers is quite shameful too. I suspect you might be able to find drivers elsewhere even if not on the Samsung site; after all, what are the chances of there being a Samsung-exclusive Wi-Fi card?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #79
Of course, Windows 7 comes with its own set of problems. Install these updates manually to be able to update your computer... (that's KB3065987 and KB3102810) which itself is necessary to install an apparently too new version of Office/Word...

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3frcib/heads_up_kb3050265_fixes_major_memory_leak_in/
http://appuals.com/high-cpu-usage-by-svchost-exe-netsvcs/

Without KB3065987 things go horribly wrong due to lack of memory. Without KB3102810 I let it run for 30 minutes without any success, but it seems to have taken "only" 10-15 mins or so with that update.

For future reference, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226 (KB2999226) will do for installing Office/Word 2016 all by itself. That's fine, I mainly figured it'd be safer to get it all. But Windows Update didn't install it (nor did I see it in optional updates).

After going through all this, I cloned one of my Windows 7 VMs and upgraded it to Windows 10. Now I've got a well functioning Windows 7 and 10 VM, finally. I couldn't get the Windows 10 VM supplied by Microsoft over at Modern.IE to run quite smoothly no matter what system settings I changed.

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #80

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #81
Ouch! :lol:

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #82
Supposedly, ridiculously slow Windows updates (not happening even after hours and hours) have finally been solved, provided you install the right fixes: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-slow-updates-fix-final.html

• Sparta
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #83
i dont trust auto -update .

manually update most of time .

to make sure have the previous version, incase latest update are full of crap

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #84
Supposedly, ridiculously slow Windows updates (not happening even after hours and hours) have finally been solved
Well, old news from Dedoimedo. :)   At least I can confirm that they are correct.
As for me, Windows 7 updates will end this month. I won't install each time hundreds of MBs in vain.
Starting with Oktober 16 M$ won't allow anymore selective download of updates.
Since W2k I only downloaded security patches and those only selective. Almost all security patches were addressed to InternetExploder (which I don't use) and to their insecure .NET Framework (which was always among the first things I've uninstalled from a fresh Windoze).
These habits served me well for many years and I've never encountered problems with Windoze.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #85
Well, old news from Dedoimedo.  :)
I don't know; I tried to install a number of recommended patches manually a few months back and it didn't help too much.

These habits served me well for many years and I've never encountered problems with Windoze.
True, not allowing automatic updates will serve you well. I've had both Windows 7 and Windows 10 kill themselves automagically.

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #86
Well, old news from Dedoimedo.  :)
I don't know; I tried to install a number of recommended patches manually a few months back and it didn't help too much.
For sure, everyone (including myself) who didn't install all the shitload of updates M$ was offering, encountered this problem.
However, the solution offered by Dedoimedo now, was already available in August. ;)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #87
I think he wrote July. :P

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #88
I think he wrote July. :P
The rollup package KB3172605 came in July. At that time nobody knew that it was part of the solution - neither did Dedoimedo.
If I recall exactly, it was M$ who came up afterwards with the solution for slow updates - the solution Dedoimedo is presenting September 30, 2016. ;)
So I was able to solve the problem (correct solutions were given on several sites) in August.
BTW, I still have on my HD the install packages (Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu and Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu) which I did download in August and which solved the slow update problem since.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #89
The what's new in Windows 10 anniversary update video just told me you can now set reminders from the lockscreen. WTF!? It's the lockscreen. You know, the thing that keeps people from doing stuff on your computer...

Incidentally, apparently Edge has mouse gestures now.

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #90
Microsoft gives third-parties access to Windows 10 Telemetry data

Microsoft struck a deal with security company FireEye which gives FireEye access to all Windows 10 Telemetry data.