Skip to main content

Topic: What's Going On In Russia? (Read 8562 times)

What's Going On In Russia?
I know very little about Russia and we have only one Russian poster, but others may be more knowledgeable.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: What's Going on in Russia?
Reply #125
Is [Russia] a democratic state or a floundering proto-Soviet empire wannabe?
Well, North Korea is an empire wannabe. Russia, as the greatest territory in the world, is no wannabe, but a state with imperial ambitions that can actually be enforced, if they play it right. Or, better said, if everybody else keeps playing it stupidly enough. And it looks like US/EU specifically are playing it stupidly enough. The force that can reasonably moderate Russia's ambitions is China who has very much the same ambitions.

Floundering? Not economically, surprisingly. I thought Russians would attempt a revolution when rouble shrunk in half in devaluations, while loans of the people are tied to USD, i.e. the people were officially robbed. Some mobs attacked banks in response, but for some reason this wave cooled down.

Democratic? There are hardly any democratic countries in the world. Where I live, the supranational entity called EU has eroded much of the power and distinction of nation-states by an undemocratic process. When/if EU begins critically failing, the countries who relied on it too much will have to re-orientate themselves or re-discover their own identity. The latter often means nazism to some degree and the former is not necessarily democratic either.

A country like Russia always found expansive opportunities under the rule of a Czar or Czar-like figure plus kleptocracy. Which is right now. About high time I went there again to see it all myself first hand.

Edit: And congrats for managing to open a third thread on Russia exactly with the same heading. The other two are here
http://thedndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=549.0
http://thedndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=260.0

We also have threads specifically dedicated to Putin. Hot stuff.
  • Last Edit: 2016-11-24, 21:18:02 by ersi

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: What's Going on in Russia?
Reply #126
In general terms since the collapse of the USSR there has been a general improvement. Years ago I had a boss who was desperate to visit the USSR as if it was some place of inspiration (poor woman). However when she came back from her holiday she was a changed person. From poor hotel matters to everything controlled by the State. Outside of party bosses who had use of cars it was tram or bus. Shops were not very attractive. Personally i can remember the dreadful views inside shops and it never appealed to me at all. Shops had shortages and the lives of the population boring as hell. Even food shops had constant queues. Today the cities are crammed with traffic jams, wide variety of commerce, shops and competition so well moving in the right direction.

The place has vastly changed from the control, freakery of the Soviet nonsense and being so large has every right to make it's presence felt.  Just nodded to my picture of the last Tsar.....
"Quit you like men:be strong"

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Re: What's Going On In Russia?
Reply #127
Edit: And congrats for managing to open a third thread on Russia exactly with the same heading. The other two are here
http://thedndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=549.0
http://thedndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=260.0

Merged the thread into thread #549, probably to be merged into #260.

• Mr. Tennessee
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #128
Sorry, I couldn't find the earlier versions.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #129

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #130
Merged the thread into thread #549, probably to be merged into #260.
What would be about us if not protected by buroucrats?
A matter of attitude.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #131
Putin has a law on the Russian nation in the making.

"Nation" is an unfortunately ambiguous word in Indo-European languages. The ambiguity helps politicians to cover up their real intentions, enabling rhetorical retreat when challenged, while sending appropriate signals where needed. In the West, "nation" means more like country and citizenship, but in Russia it means more likely ethnicity.

To add to the ambiguity, Putin chose the foreign loan word to refer to the law plans. This has a double effect. The foreign loan word may convey to Western nations that the concept would be just like they in the West have it. On the other hand, the loan word in Russian is pronounced close to "Nazi" in English. Say no more.

It also has a direct connection to the hitherto shunned (shunned in Kremlin) word "nationalism". For Kremlin thus far, it's always those other countries, such as the Baltics, who are "nationalists" while Russia is cozy and peaceful and merely helping "compatriots" (=ethnic Russians abroad). Now it's evidently the turn for Kremlin to be openly nationalists themselves.

In other news, Steven Seagal visited Putin in Kremlin and ceremonially received his Russian passport. Grab yours too while they are still hot.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #132
A KGB at the left, an idiot at the right but who's the man in the statue?
A matter of attitude.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #133
Hope the statute was of a Tsar. As for the FORMER KGB man your country could do with someone like him.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #134
The Tsar is the KGB man. The statue is there for giving him the ancestry he doesn't have.

Your cult of personality is turning into a maniac obssession for the man Rjhowie. I suppose you already started the Putinesque Fan Club at your village.
A matter of attitude.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #135
Dear oh dear, Belfrager. You re getting like the usual anti-Russian guff here and trying to take the distance by accusing me of ne--fanaticism.

What I have done is to show the advantages to Russia and the place is a hell of a lot different from Soviet days. Interestingly that country has looked back to the previous days with the pre-Revolutionary national flag, Tsarist emblems and dress uniforms.  You have had your brain infiltrated by the usual Western media guff. Hey you could pass for a Yank.  At least trump for all his question marks wants some sensible link with the Russians as they cannot take oer it's capitalism nor military!

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #136
You have had your brain infiltrated by the usual Western media guff. Hey you could pass for a Yank.
Hardly such thing could ever happen.
A matter of attitude.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #137
Well I dashed well hope not my amusing white socks man supporter!  ;)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #138
For quite a while I wondered if the weird passport regulations for foreigners had originated in Tsarist era. Because if they did, they would make sense. Now I found out that this is indeed so.

Quote from: Handbook for travellers in Russia... 1898
The passport must be exhibited on arrival to the local authorities (through the hotel-keeper or house-porter to avoid inconvenience), who will register it... Neglect of this rule may be punished by expulsion from the Empire... The passport regulations are now more strictly applied than ever, particularly at St. Petersburg. Tourists should keep this in mind, for any neglect of these regulations is visited with discomfort and annoyance, and even with penalties.
This applies even today, but is still commonly ignored by foreigners in Russia. Particularly journalists should know better, but then again, sometimes they have good reasons to try to circumvent it.

Source https://archive.org/details/handbookfortrave00john_24

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #139
Being a long Tsarist sympathiser very interesting...... :up:

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #140
This episode of "Under the maps" analyzes some of what's going on in the Caucasus region of Russia.

http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/067846-012-A/le-dessous-des-cartes