Skip to main content

Topic: General Unix/Linux Thread (Read 35583 times)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
General Unix/Linux Thread
There is more to discuss, but opening a new topic for everything might be a bit much. Here's a quick overview of what exists already:

Some other subjects I might talk about include the compose key, Geeqie, Pandoc, qBittorrent, tmux, and VirtualBox. I semi-regularly write something about such matters on my blog.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: General Unix/Linux Thread
Reply #375
Hopefully it also comes with an American keyboard.

Who am I kidding. I don't need a new laptop for another few years. :P

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #376
I don't know why this is taking so long, but resizing a 465 GiB ext4 partition (256 GiB is used) to 315 GiB with resize2fs seems to be taking an eternity. It's finally almost done and it's getting to close to three hours.

If I'd just copied the files I know I would've been done in about an hour tops. I guess two hours since I might've had to copy it twice in the process.

According to top my CPU is at a fairly consistent 2-4% and writing speeds are practically non-existent. Not exactly what I was expecting. I'm displeased.

Edit: it finished pass 2, but apparently there's a pass 3.  :faint:

Edit 2: ok, pass 3 and 4 only took a minute or two. That's good. :P

Edit 3: hm, time plays tricks on your mind I guess. It took "only " 2:15:12. The next step of the process, copying a 120 GB partition, is set to finish in 21 minutes.
  • Last Edit: 2017-09-21, 18:17:27 by Frenzie

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #377
I've been using mainly VirtualBox and perhaps a bit of VirtManager, but today I finally tried GNOME Boxes. In typical GNOME style it's fairly simplistic, so probably a lot harder if you actually need to tweak things. However, the simplicity and speed of just straight up loading a disk image is phenomenal.

(Booting into a LiveCD on bare metal is kind of meh for just quickly testing a few things.)