Skip to main content

Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 85364 times)

• string
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Forum Staff
Keeping an eye on Opera
Many are giving up Opera due to the shortcomings of the present state of the so-called "Opera Next"

This thread is to inform us on how the Opera Browser develops.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Keeping an eye on Opera
Reply #575
Breaking! Opera introduces an innovative feature from 2003 (or earlier still? I don't quite recall if the window panel was in Opera <7)

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2018/01/opera-developer-52-initial-release/

Selecting multiple individual tabs can be done by holding Ctrl (⌘ on macOS) and clicking on the tabs, or you can select a range of tabs, from left to right, by holding Shift and clicking on a tab.

Incidentally, this used to work from Windows 95 through Windows XP. Since Vista the Ctrl + click mechanism has been broken in the Windows taskbar.

Admittedly, the Windows 7+ drag to the side of the screen for quick tiling method isn't horrible either, but it would've been better as an addition. Things you can do in Windows XP, for example that you can't in 10? Minimize group and close group. (Also cascade and choosing to tile vertically, but I've never quite understood the point of cascade.)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #576
(Also cascade and choosing to tile vertically, but I've never quite understood the point of cascade.)
Back when I didn't know any better, I used Cascade to get all the open windows visible at once to select the next window. This was useful when there were already very many windows open so that I had lost track of them.

Edit: Concerning selecting browser tabs, I like the way you can select them arbitrarily in Vivaldi and then tile or cascade or do other such operations with the selection - with Ctrl+click of course.
  • Last Edit: 2018-01-17, 10:54:56 by ersi

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #577
Back when I didn't know any better, I used Cascade to get all the open windows visible at once to select the next window. This was useful when there were already very many windows open so that I had lost track of them.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by didn't know any better but it can definitely be useful to read the full window title.

Edit: Concerning selecting browser tabs, I like the way you can select them arbitrarily in Vivaldi and then tile or cascade or do other such operations with the selection - with Ctrl+click of course.
Everybody does. Opera's failure in this regard is that it only worked properly in the windows panel.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #578
I'm not quite sure what you mean by didn't know any better but it can definitely be useful to read the full window title.
I mean when I had not discovered Alt+Tab yet. The only upside of Cascade compared to Alt+Tab on Windows is longer window titles. 

Everybody does. Opera's failure in this regard is that it only worked properly in the windows panel.
Talking about old Opera or the new?

In old Opera, another thing I like is the ability to get the list of open tabs (and more) by right-clicking the tray icon and select the one to go. Works like the best window list thingies on window managers in Linux.

As far as I know, Vivaldi does not have a tray icon. Does the current Chropera?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #579
Talking about old Opera or the new?
New Opera has no windows panel afaik. Vivaldi's had it for a while I believe, although I'm not sure how functional it was. It looks like it rivals Opera/Presto right now in any case.

As far as I know, Vivaldi does not have a tray icon. Does the current Chropera?
Doesn't look like it.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #580
Just in time for the GDPR nonsense taking full force, Opera's VPN stopped working. For me, it doesn't connect at all. Earlier, there used to be options to pick a country on whichever continent you wanted, these options are gone now. Looks like I must finally sign up to a paid VPN service.

Reply #581
hi all,flash is back in opera presto on YT

all credit(in Russian forum) http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=48830&start=1000
download opera 12.18  mod  http://wdfiles.ru/mgM3

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #582
Just in time for the GDPR nonsense taking full force, Opera's VPN stopped working.
There's no connection between the two things.
1- Opera's VPN  keeps on working for Windows version. Why it doesn't anymore for Linux you have to ask Opera.
2- GDPR is not "nonsense". Maybe you prefer the American's Big Brother way of "freedom", I don't. There's no alternatives.
A matter of attitude.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #583
hi all,flash is back in opera presto on YT
Thanks for sharing!

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #584
Just in time for the GDPR nonsense taking full force, Opera's VPN stopped working.
There's no connection between the two things.
There's the time connection.

1- Opera's VPN  keeps on working for Windows version. Why it doesn't anymore for Linux you have to ask Opera.
I didn't even know there was a Linux or Windows version. I only used the Android version. These days I use a paid service because I need a solid connection to Finland.

2- GDPR is not "nonsense". Maybe you prefer the American's Big Brother way of "freedom", I don't. There's no alternatives.
The alternative, when one does not know how things work, is to refrain from messing them up further. I have been rather clear what I mean by nonsense, namely it makes internet clunkier to use and it does not provide a single benefit. EU big brother is no better from American big brother.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #585
EU big brother is no better from American big brother.
Maybe... but it has a different perfume.  ;)
I have been rather clear what I mean by nonsense, namely it makes internet clunkier to use and it does not provide a single benefit.
RGPD starts with changing processes that applies to everyone as citizens. For example, I agree entirely that everybody has the right to not allow public or private services to make copies of people's ID card. Or, that anyone has the right to know what data exactly services have about them and demand it's immediate correction or removal.
These are very very important measures for people's empowerment.

As specifically for the Internet you probably have a more in depth knowledge than I have, I simply believe that there's nothing to stop "them" knowing (and storing for future eventual usage against you) everything people do. The importance of EU's RGPD is like the importance of EU not allowing the commerce of cloned animals for the food industry (unlike the US, Russia and China). At least we can't be accused of doing nothing.

This is the statement of Qwant, a French search engine I use sometimes:
What you are doing with Qwant is your business and yours only. To protect your privacy, Qwant makes every effort to ensure the security and confidentiality of its users personal data. We collect as little data as possible. Therefore, we forbid ourselves to use any cookie or any other tracking device that may help build your profile for advertising purposes. Moreover, your queries are  anonymized by dissociating them and the IP address you used, in accordance with recommendations by the French data protection office, CNIL.

Things are different in the EU. For better.
A matter of attitude.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #586
Maybe... but it has a different perfume.
You probably think "they may be bastards, but they are our bastards" whereas I think "even if our bastards, they are still bastards."

RGPD starts with changing processes that applies to everyone as citizens. For example, I agree entirely that everybody has the right to not allow public or private services to make copies of people's ID card.
It does not work this way. The way it works is that you are pushed for consent. And regardless if you give consent or not, the authorities/companies can make copies for their own purposes. Nothing has changed with regard to earlier regulations except that people are being bugged for consent.

As to the Qwant statement, it's Qwant's own initiative, not required by the GDPR or any other EU regulation. If it were required, Google would surely have a similar statement.