Skip to main content

Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 129992 times)

What's Going on in Europe
Portugal is weeping, Geert Wilders Says Netherlands Would Be Better Off if It Left 28-Nation Bloc, France can't compete with Germany, Merkel is pissed at Obama, Belgium is ousting Afgans. Is anybody happy?

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Re: What's Going on in Europe
Reply #1175
A grislier German example of contract limitations.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
GDPR
Reply #1176
Privacy campaigner Schrems slaps Amazon, Apple, Netflix, others with GDPR data access complaints

Last May, immediately after Europe's new privacy regulation came into force, noyb [a.k.a. Max Schrems] lodged its first series of strategic complaints -- targeted at what it dubbed "forced consent", arguing that Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and Google's Android OS do not give users a free choice to consent to processing their data for ad targeting, as consenting is required to use the service.
That's what I said: You get bugged for consent or you get shut off. No options.

Did somebody say that now, thanks to GDPR, you can ask from the companies to see how your data is used? Here's what it looks like.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1177
That's why they got sued the very first day. The courts will give GDPR bite, or not. When the law comes there will be resistance, they will do as little as they can get away with, or even less if there are no significant consequence.

It is in many way the private (and some public) surveillance equivalent to Freedom of information laws. Some bureaucracies will comply quickly and fully, others will not, and try to obstruct and subvert. If the law lets them get away with it, they will. 

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1178
Congrats to Frenzie for the Dutch victory at Eurovision. Well, congrats to the performer too.

Eurovision is a terrible circus for decades now, and it is made worse that there is less and less European about it. Not only are non-Europeans participating (with full rights, not just for the circus effect) - the whole event took place, yet again, outside Europe.

The way it is going, I am thinking Eurovision should be re-formed and re-branded in the manner of movie festivals. Hollywood has its Academy Awards ceremony or the Oscars - the focus is in Hollywood, but the rest of the world gets to participate somewhat in various ways. Same with Cannes etc.

So, let it be something like Singers' Circus or Music Vanity Arena, hosted by EBU and Aussievision (and others as they become strong enough industry agents). And what was that heavyweight ballerina about? Oh, that was France. Oh dear.[1]
Btw, someone somewhere said that English "oh dear" originated from "adieu" or the like.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1179
Congrats to Frenzie for the Dutch victory at Eurovision. Well, congrats to the performer too.
Now I'll have to go look for some videos, I suppose. :P

Btw, someone somewhere said that English "oh dear" originated from "adieu" or the like.
That sounds rather implausible. The OED, which presumably put some more effort into research, agrees:
A derivation from Italian dio, God, as conjectured by some, resting upon modern English pronunciation of dea(r), finds no support in the history of the word.
Because deor/dere is perfectly plain Old/Middle English for something like bold and precious, which seems to have organically lost its "bold" aspect. Cognate with Dutch duur.[1] No derivation from any other language necessary.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1180
Elections are going on in Europe, so it seems.
A matter of attitude.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1181
Yes, the Pirate parties have quadrupled their MEPs, after having them halved previous period. 2009-2014: 2 (SWE), 2014-2019: 1 (GER), 2019-2024 1 (GER), 3 (CZE).

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1182
Elections are going on in Europe, so it seems.
Luckily it's over now. Some candidates were really annoyingly campaigning on the streets. I hid myself from them at my home and did not vote.

• ensbb3
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1183
I hid myself from them at my home and did not vote.
Good advice for me next year.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1184
Lol, what'd they do?

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1185
Good advice for me next year.

Three years election campaign must be longest in US history, or? I think by now US campaigns are longer than any other I am aware of. Should be time to start running for the 2024 campaign. The European Parliament campaign on the other hand is blink-and-it-is-over short. Even Eurovision voting takes longer. That on the other hand must have the record for longest voting period among musical competitions or whatever category that will be in.

That was one noticeable change moving to Sweden. This thing goes on for months. The international competition goes on long enough, but the national competition is even worse. And that is based on 28 songs selected from 2300 (!) songs that year. 28 songs making for 11 1/2 hour of television (including an hour of "Eurovision: The Day After"). Is there a lot of repetition? What do think? Is there a lot of repetition? What do think? Is there a lot of repetition?

• ensbb3
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1186
The Dems would do well to focus on legislative seats. But the Parties have an all or nothing policy. Cut off the nose to spite the face type mentality.

28 songs making for 11 1/2 hour of television
Seems like there'd be a lot of repetition with that. :P

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1187
So the Spitzenkandidat is out, while Merkel has weighed in against Vestager.

"Both Spitzenkandidaten, whom I would call the only real Spitzenkandidaten, are in the race and have both made sure that the Spitzenkandidaten process will remain in the future," Merkel said on Saturday on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Japan. "We are on a path which will maybe make a solution possible tomorrow."

FT has their own favourites, which might suit the British, but for Brexit. 

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1188
Hopefully some thunderstorms soon. :ko:

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1189
Hopefully some thunderstorms soon. :ko:
Tour de France etape 19 was interrupted due to hail and mudslides. And at least in Estonia the temperature is expected to lower from about 30 C to below 20.

Nothing else is happening, so we are reduced to talk about weather.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1190
Nothing else is happening, so we are reduced to talk about weather.
I don't know about other countries but at mine people got some kind of "weather mania", talking about the weather all the time.
Authorities publishes weather alerts every single day, usually in colors. Today will be green but caution, yellow or probably red for the weekend and so on, and so on, and so on...

The weather was something to talk about occasionally, when it was justified to do so, not constantly. It turned into the most important thing in people's life. It doesn't surprises me.

This is definitively a symptom of post modernity at a high, no hope of treatment, degree of disease. The population is severely infected.
A matter of attitude.