Skip to main content

Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 142027 times)

What's Going on in Europe
Portugal is weeping, Geert Wilders Says Netherlands Would Be Better Off if It Left 28-Nation Bloc, France can't compete with Germany, Merkel is pissed at Obama, Belgium is ousting Afgans. Is anybody happy?

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: What's Going on in Europe
Reply #1200
When was the EU ever at the supremacy role? Back in the golden age of colonisation, when there was no EU in the first place?
Well, culturally, scientifically, artistically, economically, technologically and socially there was nothing else than Europe fore more than two thousand years.
Militarily, you can take maybe fifty years to the two thousand.

And what is wrong in supporting Brexit?
Nothing, they should have gone much time ago and return to the American servant role they have for long.
The EU project is exactly to keep Europe free from others domination.
A matter of attitude.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1201
they have the wrong sort of power sockets
So do France and Belgium with type E. Schuko/type F and Danish type K are so much better.

They had all the exceptions and still whined for more
It's especially curious when they supported or even piloted new EU regulation just to turn around and claim the EU made them do it.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1202
Well, culturally, scientifically, artistically, economically, technologically and socially there was nothing else than Europe fore more than two thousand years.
Militarily, you can take maybe fifty years to the two thousand.

For about two centuries, the 18th and 19th, European (colonial) powers could be said to be supreme technologically, technologically, and militarily (and the rest followed). Rest of history, not so much. Still had a lot going for them, mind you, but that supremacy was short. The North American supremacy has been even shorter.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1203
Schuko/type F and Danish type K are so much better.

Yes, that's the superior plug. As an application of Postel's law, Chinese sockets are pretty good, by supporting US, European (unearthed) and Australian (earthed) plugs. 

However, they are big and unwieldy, and provide little security for accidental electric shocks (nor earth for Type F+). In that regard the Europlugs (type C) are better, in inset sockets it is practically impossible to touch the leads when live.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #1204
In that regard the Europlugs (type C) are better, in inset sockets it is practically impossible to touch the leads when live.
Sure, those are great. Still pretty darn hard to touch inside type E/F/K in any case and likely actually impossible due to the plastic at the onset of the pins? But that is yet another thing I prefer about type not-E, because you can fairly easily hurt yourself on that stupid ground pin while trying to pull out a Europlug. Being more or less safe from electrocution isn't the same thing as being safe from injury.

My position is that Schuko is by far the safest and most user-friendly. If we really needed forced polarity I'm hard-pressed to believe that most of Europe would be using Schuko, but in that case the Danish system is greatly superior to the French/Belgian one.

provide little security for accidental electric shocks
Well, I guess it's no worse than a European outlet from before my birth or a present-day American one. Do they also put them on the floor so as to more easily electrocute infants?