Skip to main content

Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 170335 times)

What's Going on in Europe
Portugal is weeping, Geert Wilders Says Netherlands Would Be Better Off if It Left 28-Nation Bloc, France can't compete with Germany, Merkel is pissed at Obama, Belgium is ousting Afgans. Is anybody happy?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: What's Going on in Europe
Reply #1250
In train news:
The Swedish government announced on Thursday (23 July) night train routes that will link the cities of Stockholm and Malmö with Hamburg and Brussels, in the latest indication that sleeper services are on the cusp of a renaissance in Europe.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #1251
A couple years of #flygskam and a pandemic has to be good for something. Now all that remains is not to end up at your destination station at four in the morning or afternoon, or leave at half past one.

The only really good night train was the one between Amsterdam and Prague. Perfect timing.

Perfect it was't, but I liked the Scandinavian system for night trains between Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm. They all left for Gothenburg late evening (11-ish). Then, when in Gothenburg, they rearranged the train cars (ka-KA-klang-KANG!) to go to Oslo/Copenhagen/Stockholm, so depending on the car you were in you'd end up in either one of the destination cities.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1252
As a life long railway (and rail simulator) fan most interesting news!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1253
The Swedish government announced on Thursday (23 July) night train routes that will link the cities of Stockholm and Malmö with Hamburg and Brussels, in the latest indication that sleeper services are on the cusp of a renaissance in Europe.
I remember very well the Wagon-Lit service. We had it abroad the Lusitania Express.

A matter of attitude.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1254
Overnight trains never ceased to be a thing in Russia. You're all welcome to go try them out.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1255
You're all welcome to go try them out.
Better to send Rjhowie first.
I'm certain it will be a wonderful experience for him with all the love he feels for Trains, Putin and Mother Russia.
Kind of an Holy Trinity.

Me? thanks but I'm not masochist.

A matter of attitude.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1256
Yeah dear man I would say you are not masochistic enough to cope with being Portuguese!

Clever you worked out I liked Putin and by the way Tsarism as well - last Tsar is on my wall.....!  8)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1257
Clever you worked out I liked Putin and by the way Tsarism as well - last Tsar is on my wall.....!  8)
This one?

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1258
I do make allowances for your limitations ersi seeing you are European.

nodded to my imperial picture (next General Robert e lee the impressive army commander of the Confederates during the civil war in nutjobland - opps America.