Skip to main content

Topic: The advantages of Portable Apps (Read 5973 times)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
The advantages of Portable Apps
Serious question: Why use portable software? I never installed any portable app and have, so I think, had a full life anyway.

What could be the advantages? Mobility? Privacy?

If I understood correctly, portable software is installed to a portable medium (USB stick these days) to be stuck into a computer to which one has access atm.

If this is correct, and e.g. the browser's profile and cache is directed to the USB stick, then the computer should not retain traces of usage from the ported browser.

Question: If I install the browser in Linux, is it connectible to a Windows computer? If not, the portable app doesn't look like much of an advantage.

Moreover, at my job we nicely have USB sockets in computers, but when you stick stuff in, the computer asks for admin password. Doesn't look like a portable app would work in this case, right?

If one is mobile (which I am) and has access to different comps (which I do), I sort of tend to think that a whole portable OS (such as Puppy Linux) would make more sense than individual portable apps. Except that I haven't used a portable OS either - I have my own laptop.

Comments?

• j7n
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: The advantages of Portable Apps
Reply #25
ׂ
  • Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 04:25:43 by j7n

Re: The advantages of Portable Apps
Reply #26
j7n: well, well... your reply reminded me that I totally missed the point (I was trying to reach through my experiences to complete with an - ) answer(ing) to the question of the OP for portable across platforms, whereas I only mentioned the benefits for a singular platform/desktop-pc (or the hazards therein). So let me recapture my thoughts and continue with:

I am not sure, but it must have been around the time of the End of the Amiga or its OS Successors, where the idea came up of semi-compiled installer packages which where compiled/optimized during install on the particular platform/hardware/os setting... an idea which (as it, e.g. under windows, would need an installed compiler (like windows preinstalled with VSExpress, GCC or such) ) didn't really make it through to nowadays yearcycle. I am now wondering why portable apps are not, at least under *nix systems, evolving on that idea - all configuration/settings in the directory of the app, the source/half-way-compiled binaries within that directory and with starting the app it would compile anew under a formerly not known system -- ok, would call for lots of free space available on that "portable"-medium and under windows it would need the presence of compilers, but it could be... hey wait, thats what Java/Python and such is usable for... so to the OP: either we mean "portable" within a given platform and compiled binaries making use of every advantage there is, or we mean "portable" across platforms and we give up optimization/speed/resource management for the benefit of being "portable"  :doh: explain that to the fancycancy used fanboys of either Windows or *nix platforms who prefer 3D/Touchpad/Phone effects-overladen-unusebility over plain and simple (productivity) GUIs :p