Skip to main content

Topic: Otter and Windows XP (Read 6530 times)

• DaveH
  • [*][*]
Otter and Windows XP
Hi, been lurking for a while, and finally joined to ask this as I couldn't find an obvious answer anywhere.
Why is there a separate download now for Otter updates for Windows XP?

I'm running 32 bit XP SP3 and I'm still using the normal exe update files and everything seems to be fine.
What is the difference with the specifically XP zip option?

When I check for updates now a mesage pops up saying that downloads may not be available for my platform, which never used to happen, and I now have to go to the delails page and manually select the download I want, when it used to just happen. I guess this is because I'm on XP, but why?

I really like the look of Otter BTW, although it still needs some functional additions before I would consider using it all the time, such as synchronisation, spell checking, and password storage. It is much nearer in look and feel to my beloved Opera 12 than Vivaldi is though.

Keep up the good work, and Happy Christmas and New Year to you all!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

• Emdek
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Otter and Windows XP
Reply #50
@Toltek, download this and unpack newer versions on top of it:
https://otter-browser.org/tmp/otter-browser-xp2.zip
The proper solution is to recompile GStreamer against OpenH264 but so far  haven't found time to test it...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

• Alex31
  • [*]
Reply #51
@Alex31, works fine here, Flash 26 (NPAPI variant) under Windows XP SP3.

@DaveH, locally I have build that can handle all popular codecs, including WebM and MP4, but I'll have to disable h264 support before publishing due to legal reasons...

Does any version of Otter for XP Pro have the h264 support working, or are all disabled? I ask because I am looking for a browser that can deal with h264 (already have three browsers that use Flash).
To watch my videos in h264 on Windows XP sp2 I use new moon in portable version in addition to Otter-Browser.

I prefer to open my videos with an external link on the latest functional version of MPV with youtube-dl. exe for Windows XP inside the new moon 100% GPU radeon, because I didn't find how to do it with Otter-browser.
forum
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/
 ;)
  • Last Edit: 2017-11-18, 11:26:04 by Alex31

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #52
@Emdek Isn't H264 legally free for open-source projects or something like that?

• Emdek
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #53
@Frenzie, the only safe way is to use that library, this is how Firefox gained support for that codec under Windows,
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.