Skip to main content

Topic: Firefox to become adware? (Read 5638 times)

Firefox to become adware?
In a sense, yes. At an undisclosed time, Firefox will begin showing "new" users sponsored tiles on the tabpage. source One poster in the forum argues that Mozilla folks have to eat, too. But they already eat quite well from the money the receive from Google. But the problem for isn't that browser is monetized. This shows a decline in integrity on Mozilla's part.

Now why the quotes around "new?" In the developed world, there aren't too many people without internet. For example, as of Dec 2011, the internet penetration in the US was 78.3% of the population, which is actually less than most of the developed world. How many of the remaining 22.7% are young children or the elderly. The US does have more children as percentage of the population than say, the EU or Japan. I believe the internet penetration of emerging market economies such as Mexico ("officially" only only 29.4% as of Dec 10) is vastly under-reported, with the place being littered with crowded internet cafes and the continued growth of 3 and 4G wireless networks as well more deployment of cable and DSL internet. So again, what new users?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Firefox to become adware?
Reply #75
And the text praises Chrome as the shining light that shows them the way to the bright future. Awesome.
No news there of course. It's almost refreshing to see them saying it so directly.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #76
Firefox 57 may be slightly faster than Chrome now, but beating Chrome by becoming Chrome helps no one. Vimperator is another victim.

Firefox 57 will change its add-on ecosystem to be exclusively based on WebExtensions. While this offers (some) compatibility with extensions written for Chrome and Microsoft Edge, it removes the possibility to do many advanced stuff which Vimperator does. Additionally, it would require a full rewrite of Vimperator, which nobody has volunteered for. Therefore we will stop supporting any Firefox version later than Firefox 56. Head over to our GitHub page for a list of alternatives or a detailed discussion.
If you want to have famous last words, you can take a survey here to inspire future add-on authors what you actually liked about Vimperator.

Of course there are alternatives like https://github.com/akhodakivskiy/VimFx but... oh wait, Fx 57. Never mind then.

Take your pick here: https://github.com/vimperator/vimperator-labs#end-of-life-and-alternatives

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #77
Take your pick here: https://github.com/vimperator/vimperator-labs#end-of-life-and-alternatives
They don't seem to mention Conkeror, a very sympathetic nice little browser that used to be the default in Crunchbang Linux. Conkeror homepage shows some minimal maintenance going on http://conkeror.org/RecentChanges

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #78
Out of curiosity I've tested the speed-beast called Quantum.
I did test only on sites I visit regularly and couldn't notice differences compared to Firefox ESR 52.
I can't pretend that my test was accurate since I don't have script-heavy sites among my bookmarks and I have no subscription for Fedbook or Twatter. Also my hardware (an Intel quadcore i-5 and 8GB of RAM) might be outdated for such a beast.
What I did notice, were multiple instances of firefox.exe and if you are not attentive enough during configuration, some processes (telemetry) that keep running even after you exit the beast.

As for Chromme I wonder when the next generation of processors will come out so Chrome can take advantage of new features, offering more service and joy to its customers.
How about processors able to scan the person sitting in front of the screen. So the browser can send feedback home about what you eat last night, or the date of your last intercourse. Imagine the joy of getting exclusive tailored offers of your favorite foodstuff or ultimative tailored offers to improve your sex life. :)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #79
As for Chromme I wonder when the next generation of processors will come out so Chrome can take advantage of new features, offering more service and joy to its customers.
How about processors able to scan the person sitting in front of the screen. So the browser can send feedback home about what you eat last night, or the date of your last intercourse. Imagine the joy of getting exclusive tailored offers of your favorite foodstuff or ultimative tailored offers to improve your sex life.  :)
I think that's called "Google Assistant". Available on your Google Services-enabled Android device. :P