Skip to main content

Topic: E-readers (Read 6649 times)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
E-readers
It seemed that e-reader screens would converge to 6 inches, but considerably bigger devices keep being produced too.

Amazingly, after new year I still had money left, so I bought myself an e-reader. It turns out that the screen is indeed very nice to have when you read a lot of pdfs and epubs (which I do), even though the devices tend to be short on other functionality. The screen is wonderfully convenient compared to a night lamp and a book, and better than a mobile phone's LCD screen.

Insofar as e-readers are meant to display text, there should be font settings (types and sizes) everywhere. My e-reader doesn't permit changing fonts in pdfs, not even when the text reflows. There's no changing of font types and sizes in the web browser either. There should be.

The web browser should permit saving pages as text or HTML. Web-to-PDF would be nice to have. These things are easy to do in a computer and then load onto the e-reader, but it seems like a natural function for the e-reader itself.

Text-to-speech (and saving the file, i.e. conversion of text formats to audio) should be standard in sound-capable devices. Producers of e-readers should be pioneering the speech software for other languages than English. It's an accessibility thing.

More dictionaries too, particularly from other-than-English to English. And more non-Latin scripts/fonts. Producers of e-readers should be actively developing these things.

Even though e-ink screens have only shades of grey, no colours, there should be colour settings to adjust contrast and such. At least there should be a setting to invert the text and background colours. It's again an accessibility thing. Koreader is a program that fixes this particular aspect on my device, though not globally. Settings like this make sense globally.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: E-readers
Reply #100
The hyperawesome Onyx Boox Max2 13.3" e-reader+monitor with Android 6 can now be pre-ordered in EU https://ereader-store.de/en/83-onyx-boox-max2-pro-.html Grab yours while they are still hot.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #101
I was actually thinking of buying this slightly cheaper Japanese mouse while it's on sale instead (about €34.20 + €6 shipping).

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #102
Isn't it more like a trackball? (The ball on top out in the open, not hidden under the device.)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #103
Pointing device then. :P

Edit: besides, it says it right in the name "erekomu Trackball Mouse" :D
  • Last Edit: 2017-11-16, 13:08:22 by Frenzie

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #104
Check this out: Onyx Typewriter

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #105
So to be clear, basically the same tablet they're already making with a detachable keyboard? Which is cool of course. :)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #106
The video was published nearly a year ago (I forgot to check before I posted), so it must be a product concept that came to nothing.  And the thing particularly with Onyx Booxes is that they are Android devices so you can actually attach any keyboard to it - they already are Typewriters, but you have to add your own keyboard.

And to simply combine things that already exist and work should be common sense. Tablets are pretty cool. So are netbooks. In principle nothing should prevent anyone to simply slap an eink screen on them and begin selling. But, amazingly, nobody is doing it. Onyx comes closest.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #107
This week I got myself a Kobo H2O Edition 1 by swapping my Pocketbook Touch HD with some guy on the internet. I'm not quite sure yet if I got lucky or screwed.

Pocketbook's software can do so much more. You can do actual research on it even without Koreader, but considerably more with Koreader. On Kobo, Koreader is the only thing that makes it usable. I added another usable thing: Vlasovsoft's app package. Still, missing things are too many to mention.

But hardware-wise Kobo is awesome. The form factor reminds me of my first darling ereader: Pocketbook Sense. I miss the page turn keys at the back, but I like H2O's bigger screen and sufficient RAM. Oh, but there appears to be no multitouch on Kobo, e.g. Koreader's zoom gestures don't seem to work.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #108
Some dual screen gadget demonstrated by Intel.
Tiger Rapids opens like a traditional pen-and-paper notebook, stashing its digital pen within a pen loop to the right. ...the entire right-hand screen of Tiger Rapids is an electronic paper display (EPD) that consumes almost no power. It's purpose-built for digital inking, complete with a slight give to it that mimics traditional paper.
  • Last Edit: 2018-06-08, 11:50:27 by ersi

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #109
Curious but could be interesting. :)