Skip to main content

Topic: Today's Good News (Read 133829 times)

• string
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Forum Staff
Today's Good News
Have you noticed that we usually debate only the bad things in life.

In this thread anyone can put down current news that they think is good (can be on any subject but not nasty, please, or so controversial that it provokes arguments). We can debate it and then move on when someone else posts some more happiness!

So I'll start with this gem, which will brings tears of joy to many, I am sure.

Chocolate is Good for you

Yes - it's official
Dark chocolate may be healthier

It's good for a cough and it's good for your heart.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• Last Edit: 2013-11-30, 06:51:41 by string

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Today's Good News
Reply #675
It was an election campaign promise. That seems fairly cut and dry.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #676
With so many important and urgent things Mr Biden should be concerned with it makes no sense to worry with what a NATO's member,Turkey, did more than one hundred years ago. There must be business going on.
Of course it is not nice to piss off a fellow NATO member, but the genocide is not a trifle and there are more like it ongoing (oppression against Kurds, occupation of North Cyprus).

All in all, Turkey is an outlier in NATO in a similar way as UK was an outlier in EU. We got rid of UK for less reasons...

Edit: By the way, The Young Turks (a tangentially ethnic Democrat-leaning media outlet in USA) have a complex but overall positive take on it.

• Last Edit: 2021-04-27, 16:15:48 by ersi

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #677
Edit: By the way, The Young Turks (a tangentially ethnic Democrat-leaning media outlet in USA) have a complex but overall positive take on it.

Ana Kasparian has an Armenian background, so it's maybe not too surprising she was happy about Biden decision to just do it, unlike previous presidents.

Incidentally, the verbal gymnastics on the "Ottoman-era Armenian genocide" has made some around here dissatisfied. By avoiding fingering Turkey directly, Assyrian and Greeks were not explicitly included.

But currently the genocide on Rohingya in Burma should be the one to follow up on.

• OakdaleFTL
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #678
All in all, Turkey is an outlier in NATO in a similar way as UK was an outlier in EU. We got rid of UK for less reasons...
Erdoğan's Turkey is not Kemal Atatürk's Republic... I still remember it's refusal of fly-over rights [...let's not quibble over the word!) during the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Turkey today is still not accepted into the EU, and I see no reason to keep it in NATO.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #679
Life after 95 or so doesn't seem very appealing though, but we'll see in due time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAAq1zSXCug

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #680
I see no reason to keep it in NATO
I can think of one reason.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #681
I see no reason to keep it in NATO.
Turkey belongs to NATO since 1952.
They always performed very well at all the exercises they were involved, so let's keep them this way.
A matter of attitude.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #682
They always performed very well at all the exercises they were involved, so let's keep them this way.
Recently there have been exceptions, such as they killed off Kurds who were doing the best job fighting ISIS https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/10/turkey-attacks-kurds-who-battled-isis-us-forces-just-days-ago/3934503002/

Moreover, in the Young Turks video I linked earlier, they say that Turkey has started trading with Russia for military equipment, something that I know from other sources too. So, things are not so lucid with Turkey. A Nato member arming the enemy, there should have been a line somewhere before this.
  • Last Edit: 2021-04-29, 12:47:02 by ersi

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #683
Turkey belongs to NATO since 1952.
They've been somewhat problematic since Cyprus though.
  • Last Edit: 2021-04-30, 06:32:15 by Frenzie

• OakdaleFTL
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #684
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #685
A little more complicated...

That's a fair assessment, as in the map above. However like @Frenzie mentioned it gets more complicated yet with Cyprus and our Middle Sea, the 3C biggie, including the part you refer to as the Middle East. Turkey's interests don't align closely with the EU's, nor with Russia's.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #686
Armenia's vaccination plan is to vaccinate Iranians.

Armenia has approved three vaccines against COVID-19 - Russia's Sputnik V, China's CoronaVac and AstraZeneca's vaccine and initially offered all of them free to foreign visitors.

The Armenian Tourism Committee said more than 8,500 Iranian citizens had visited in June, up from 5,000 a month earlier.

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #687
La Vuelta - An Estonian cyclist got the red jersey, the first place. Let's see if he keeps it in today's stage.
A matter of attitude.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #688
Oh yes, I had to check the news to make sure it was not me (because, you know, I have a bicycle too) https://sport.err.ee/1608310124/taaramae-suurtuuri-liidrisargist-on-tunne-nagu-oled-maailma-naba