Skip to main content

Poll

If you're with Windows, which players do you use?

• Media Player Classic
    3 (16.7%)
  • Windows Media Player
    2 (11.1%)
  • Winamp
    3 (16.7%)
  • Foobar
    5 (27.8%)
  • RealPlayer
    1 (5.6%)
  • VLC
    3 (16.7%)
  • Other(s)
    1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Topic: Where do the goats live? (Read 5869 times)

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Where do the goats live?
I have three browsers (IE doesn't count), and the four media players listed in the poll.
Some time ago, Chrome seemed to be the best solution to browse the Web and watch videos. But it's changed.
In the other browsers (O & Ff) videos perform smoothly. But in Chrome, they don't usually break or lag but the picture gets fractured - as if I see only part of the shots in the continuity.
As to YouTube, now the sound - which very often "goats" - means it's breaking (all the continuity is present, but it breaks so that the timing is also wrong). But when the video frame (the screen) is out of view (scrolled out of the pane, or the tab changed, or whatever), the sound and all are normal.
I think it's related that other players' playback gets similarly corrupted sometimes - seems only with Google Chrome being used to browse. Maybe it's certain sites (with their content), but sometimes even scrolling through normal pages gets the same issue with - usualy it's Foobar or RealPlayer running a radio.
Additional thing is that my Windows 'browsing' quite often gets troubled in some ways (delays & such), so it may be that something on my machine is also involved?
Or what about the hardware? Or certain drivers?
Still to reiterate: not other browsers but Chrome to notice that.

• j7n
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Where do the goats live?
Reply #25
ׂ
  • Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 04:20:33 by j7n

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #26
Beheheheh...

• j7n
  • [*][*][*][*]
YouTube in 4K. Easily playable in MPlayer
Reply #27
ׂ
  • Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 04:20:19 by j7n

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #28
MPlayer/SMPlayer here.

Very nice, thks. :)
A matter of attitude.

Re: YouTube in 4K. Easily playable in MPlayer
Reply #29

I just checked out a couple YouTube videos in the new "4K" resolution (3840*2160 px). They come in the somewhat acceptable 16 megabit bitrate at the time when 1080 and 720 are encoded at only 5 and 3 megabits respectively.

For a resolution of 1280*720 an encoding bitrate of at least 4500 megabit gives a reasonable video quality.
Same applies for a resolution of 1920*1080 and an encoding bitrate of at least 8000 megabit.
The encrease of encoding bitrate according to the respective resolution is not linear but exponential.
A resolution of 3840*2160 and an encoding bitrate of 16000 megabit gives a shit. It should be at least around 30000. To realize how shitty it is, you would have to watch it on a monitor with a diagonal of 80 inch. For small monitors 4K makes little to no sense.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #30
80 inch? I'll need to do some PPI calculations first, but let me be the first to say I'm extremely skeptical of that number.

Edit: hm, I won't even have to think (although that might not be a good thing for my mental acuity... perhaps I'll manually calculate this later but this page showed up while I was searching for what things like 4k and UHD mean precisely)

http://www.sven.de/dpi/
22" diagonal gives you merely 200 PPI
Display size: 19.17" × 10.79" = 206.81in² (48.7cm × 27.4cm = 1334.28cm²) at 200.26 PPI, 0.1268mm dot pitch, 40106 PPI²

15" diagonal gives you approximately the desired 300 PPI
Display size: 13.07" × 7.35" = 96.14in² (33.21cm × 18.68cm = 620.27cm²) at 293.72 PPI, 0.0865mm dot pitch, 86272 PPI²

Reply #31
While you are at calculating :)

This is from last year:
4K-Fernseher mit 3840x2160 Pixeln sind aktuell die Stars der Elektronik-Messen
You can of course also watch @ 1920*1080 in best quality on a 80 inch monitor as well.
This was from 2012: Riesenbild: Sharp-TV mit 203 cm Diagonale

• j7n
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
ׂ
  • Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 04:20:09 by j7n

• Macallan
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #33
Might be my previous job, but visible compression artifacts tend to annoy me more than relatively low resolution.

• Banned Member
  • [*]
  • Banned
Reply #34
This thread is about sorta interferences of players with other soft stuff.

Reply #35

Might be my previous job, but visible compression artifacts tend to annoy me more than relatively low resolution.

Wonder if it's because your previous job. I also prefer a low resolution vid in good quality over a poorly encoded high resolution one.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #36
Wonder if it's because your previous job. I also prefer a low resolution vid in good quality over a poorly encoded high resolution one.

I think a certain minimum audio quality is significantly more important than anything on the video front. But yeah, a decent DVD looks better than your average 720p YouTube vid.