Skip to main content

Topic: Software of Potential Interest (Read 832 times)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Software of Potential Interest
Today I found out about GeoGebra, a free graphical calculator application. It's easier than plotting things in R. :P

https://www.geogebra.org/

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Software of Potential Interest
Reply #1
I knew GeoGebra ever since I bought my Ubuntu laptop and installed a bunch of Edubuntu stuff on it. Not the kind of program I use much.

Another program I don't use much, but is pretty to look at from some angles, is Marble http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/marble-open-source-alternative-google-earth-linux/

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Remember Winamp? They have some big plans for their next version next year.
The news comes by way of Radionomy CEO Alexandre Saboundjian -- Radionomy bought Winamp in 2014 from AOL -- he says:

"There will be a completely new version next year, with the legacy of Winamp but a more complete listening experience. You can listen to the MP3s you may have at home, but also to the cloud, to podcasts, to streaming radio stations, to a playlist you perhaps have built."
Okay, what does this thing do that VLC or some link-collector like TuneFM doesn't?

Actually, Winamp was a pretty cool app. I kept it around even when iTunes came to Windows (back when iTunes was still good). Now I have forgotten both of them for some reason. That's right: No Linux version :)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #3
There's still xbmc, the Winamp clone of yore.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Was that a Winamp clone? To me xbmc seemed more like Realplayer. Or more properly its extension, Real Jukebox (which would beat the crap out of modern iTunes).

A significant distinguishing mark for Winamp was its skins. Audacious and Qmmp can do the v.1 "classic" skins of Winamp. Unfortunately, my favourite was among v.2 "modern" skins.

Anyway, VLC is skinnable too. And VLC can load both your media library and online links as you please. Even though I prefer to keep those two functions separate for sanity, media library (with a sane organisation to keep onboard media distinct from the collection of bookmarks of streams) for one app and ad hoc media for another.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #5
Sorry, I got confused with XMMS. And indeed like you mentioned, Qmmp.