Skip to main content

Topic: what's going on in france (Read 18330 times)

• Sparta
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
what's going on in france
if le pen elected, will france really will do brexit ?

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: what's going on in france
Reply #100
I'm not sure if this is news. I don't know the exact specifics, but for reasons I don't quite understand (spite?) the EU decided to mimic the US. That means non-citizens are required to pay $14 for a "visa waiver" that looks and smells an awful lot like a visa.
EU and USA fought a few diplomatic battles over this. Post-9/11 USA unilaterally nonsensified the concept of visa freedom and imposed de facto visas on Europeans while still claiming it's visa free travel as usual. EU wanted to keep the standard concept of visa freedom. USA won. Obama kept what W had started, including tapping Merkel's (well, everybody's) phone and going even further, e.g. if the borderguards want to peek into your smartphone but it doesn't turn on, they will deny entry to you. Naturally there was no improvement under Trump. Now EU has begun symmetrifying these measures, making travel suck more for everybody.

The Year of the Covid has also helped quite a bit on this. Now there will be no escape from proof of vaccination even when visiting next-door countries.

Edit: alright, I see I commented a bit too quickly. France is certainly going above and beyond there, aren't they. A registered invitation at the town hall? :insane:
This is why I believe there has to be a misunderstanding. If the tourist is supposed to do it, it is way too similar to regulations on tourists in Russia, and that's too insane to be true. More likely the accommodation provider has to do it, and then it's a tax or administrative fee on French businesses, not on tourists.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #101
I initially thought so too, but this seems to be more like a fee for being from unfavoured non-EU countries and having the audacity not to be living in a hotel. This list that does not include the UK (post Brexit) or US.

Brexit France: Do Britons need attestation d'accueil to visit family?

However, The Connexion looked into this issue in its Brexit and beyond guide and found that in a survey of readers, those who were asked for this form only came from a country that requires a Schengen short-stay visa to visit France. This is not the case of the UK.

Countries that require such a Schengen short-stay visa include India, Russia, Turkey and South Africa. Countries that do not include the US, Australia, Israel and New Zealand.

On the other side of the channel some British border guards seem to be all-in (or -out as the case might be), EU citizens arriving in UK being locked up and expelled

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #102
Reminds me of my first-ever foreign trip when I was still a USSR-ian going to Finland to meet my penpal. They say USSR was a bureaucratic country but the real bureaucracy broke loose when USSR ended.

In other news, Estonia's currently brightest diplomat, ambassador to France, OECD and UNESCO, was recalled and will be prosecuted for something that resembles espionage https://epl.delfi.ee/artikkel/93493587/eesti-suursaadik-prantsusmaal-clyde-kull-kutsuti-erakorraliselt-tagasi-alustati-kriminaalmenetlus

• Luxor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #103
Hey, Tour de France is on. Why didn't anybody tell me?

I'll try and remember next year.

It starts tomorrow @ersi   :P
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #104
Thanks. I don't quite remember but last time I was probably able to view it here https://www.france.tv/sport/cyclisme/tour-de-france/tous-les-directs/

Edit: Ah yes, I posted the same link last time.
  • Last Edit: 2021-06-25, 16:11:43 by ersi

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #105