Skip to main content

Topic: Everything Trump… (Read 25466 times)

• OakdaleFTL
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Everything Trump…
Too lazy to create a new thread, after earlier (IIRC) pointing out this thread has expired?
:) Yup!
But of course people need a place to vent their spleen... So, consider this an open-ended receptacle.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
No one listens to me as much as I do and even I have my limits...
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Everything Trump…
Reply #175
The only thing that solves your problem would be the United States of Europe...
It would be quite fine if EU were more of a trade association and a humanitarian organisation. Such entities do not need to be United States or federal governments with their own armies.

But instead the EU is a politico-administrative customs union. No matter how thin it claims to be, it has the core ingredients of a federal government with its own monetary policy and fiscal directives. It is a very big deal when member states cannot use budget deficits and tariffs to balance trade deficits and other local economic imbalances ad crises, while also own currency has been taken away from them. The EU is taking away too much on this point. At the same time, the missing characteristics in EU government, such as missing own army, judicial branch, a parliament with a power to ratify laws and treaties (for the govt to follow, not the other way round), and proper economic policies (other than statistical, such that would respond to current economic forces that need responding to), are also painfully felt. EU is both too thin and too fat at the same time, because it is the wrong type of organisation.

This problem cannot be solved except by annihilation and a whole new start. And it will not be a better start. European political elite is only able to agree on things that touch everyone least, resulting in pointless "principles" that do not solve any of the issues that pressed people to seek the union.

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #176
... own currency has been taken away from them.
Sorry, but the above is false. Nobody has taken anybody's currency away!
It was given up voluntary for short-term interests. It was tempting and convenient to make debts with interest rates nearly zero and to win elections by doing so. In their greed for the new currency many countries even gave manipulated figures regarding their economic status.

Put it simply - for weak economies in competition with healthy ones, a strong common currency is deadly on the long run.
To affirm now that their currency was taken away is ludicrous to say the least.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #177
Trump's ghost writer speaks out a bit.
I never imagined that writing a book for a buffoonish real estate developer could eventually help get him elected president of the United States. The fact that it did is a source of shame and regret I will always carry.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #178
There is still 1 out of 6 who have confidence in Trump doing the right thing, according to this poll. Wonder where they have been the last four years.

Oh, right.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #179
I am glad I still live in a democracy and feel sorry for armies of unfortunates in the ex-colonies stuck with what they have. Conned as much as the 3rd Reich and USSR unfortunates! :lol:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #180

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #181
Some commentators noted that it was a grim reminder of a virus that does not distinguish between rich and poor, weak and powerful.

[...]

Wang Huiyao, the founder and president of the Center for China and Globalization, an influential research group in Beijing, said, "When the president of the United States, the most powerful person in the world, can catch this, the virus has no boundaries."
A most peculiar way of phrasing that. One imagines the virus distinguishes between, say, Merkel and Trump, even if the virus doesn't distinguish between me and Merkel.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #182
Well, you could reasonably say that being poor is a comorbidity with Covid-19, or at least a risk factor.  Being rich and powerful is an advantage here too.

Question is if this will change the administration policy on the disease, and their current wilful high-risk strategy.

Trump admin. overrules CDC director on extending ban on cruises

Assuming a mild or asymptomatic disease, this would be a reasonable course correction. Maximise the sympathy, improving their reelection chances, and minimise the death toll at the same time. 

• Luxor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #183
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #184
A fancy series of animated graphs of Trump's tax returns, finally https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/27/us/donald-trump-taxes-timeline.html

A lightning summary:
 - Trump only paid taxes for a moment when making a profit from The Apprentice tv show and licensing his name all over the place, but soon got a $72.9m tax refund from IRS instead, and IRS is now auditing itself because of this.
 - As the prez, he has been paying $750 in income tax.
 - Instead of in USA, he has been paying tens and hundreds of thousands of USD in taxes in Panama, India, and Philippines.
 - Trump has not paid "millions of dollars in income tax" as most recently claimed in his "debate". Not by a long shot, not even considering the income taxes he has paid all around the world.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #185
Listening to the second debate with Trump now. Less interjection and yelling, but thus far he has not uttered a single sentence without falsehood or false boasting. I'll get back to this thread if he gets one full sentence right.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #186
Still does not matter a jot which of the two is elected President because it makes no dashed difference to tens of millions of Americans in bother for decades.

Indeed the election process in nutjobland is a typical farce and often looks immature and not too bright.Conferences full of attendees who wave placards on poles and very little definitive stuff given by speakers no matter whether Democrat or Republican. The tens of millions who are food-stamp holders and vast number homeless and so on will still be there as a damn routine tradition. It has once strong continuance - farce.
"Quit you like men:be strong"