Skip to main content

Topic: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland? (Read 38219 times)

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?
So what is happening in those barely populated areas linked to the North Atlantic ocean?

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?
Reply #450
Possible security risk affects 750,000 Estonian ID-cards
On 30 August, an international team of researchers informed the Estonian Information System Authority (RIA) of a vulnerability potentially affecting the digital use of Estonian ID cards. The possible vulnerability affects a total of almost 750,000 ID-cards issued starting from October 2014 [...] The ID-cards issued before 16 October 2014 use a different chip and are not affected.
750,000 ID-cards affected? This is practically everybody. Except me. My card was issued a few months before that date and will expire in a bit more than a year.

(In the country's official news outlet too.)

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #451
Norway's sovereign wealth fund passed a milestone.

The World's Biggest Wealth Fund Hits $1 Trillion

Though not really because it has done so well lately, rather that the US dollar is worth less.

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #452
79% of Swedish 2 years olds have used the internet. 

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #453
79% of Swedish 2 years olds have used the internet.
No surprise there. I'm sure that I "used" TV and radio when I was 2.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #454
Okay, video tag does not work with this one. Anyway, it's Tallinn almost a century ago. Germans still preferred to call it Reval back then.

https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/248828

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #455
Nice bridge at 2:20. :P

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #456
Nice bridge at 2:20. :P
Too many obscure harbours in this short film, relevant and visible only for those who enter by cargo ship. (Yes, Tallinn is like Rotterdam with a long series of various harbours and docks.) Tourists mostly see the streetscape and skyline, but the skyline is missing in this film.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #457
The movie does advertise to show you the harbor city, so I don't think it's unexpected to see some of the harbor. :P

But yes, except for some shaky footage at 3:10 I don't think there was much of what I'd presumably think of as the city.

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #458
Norway's pricey F-35s caught sending 'sensitive data' to US

"Due to national considerations, there is a need for a filter where the user nations can exclude sensitive data from the data stream that is shared by the system with the manufacturer Lockheed Martin," said Defense Ministry senior consultant Lars Gjemble, as cited by Norway's ABC Nyheter.

A flying Win10 with Intel chips, so to speak. :)

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #459
ICAN's Nobel Peace Price ceremony at Oslo City Hall today has a few fewer dignitaries than usual.

US, UK, France won't send ambassadors to Nobel ceremony
Ambassadors of Western nuclear powers to snub Nobel ceremony

OSLO (AFP) - Breaking with tradition, nearly all ambassadors of the world's nuclear powers will not attend this year's Nobel Peace Prize ceremony which honours efforts to ban atomic weapons, the Nobel Institute said Thursday.

Russia and Israel will be the only exceptions, with their ambassadors due to attend.

"They clearly received instructions to express their reservations towards ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons) and the global treaty" to ban weapons of mass destruction, the head of the Nobel Institute, Olav Njolstad, told AFP.

The Peace Prize was awarded on October 6 to ICAN, a coalition of non-governmental organisations lobbying for a historic treaty banning atomic weapons, which was signed in July by 122 countries.
Then again, Norway's foreign minister won't attend either. 

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #460
Norway's ministers are always gays.
A matter of attitude.