Skip to main content

Topic: My Opera Backup (Read 10958 times)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
My Opera Backup
As most of you know, I'm currently running a Python script with the intent of backing up all of the My Opera forums, or at least about as close to it as possible.

I already shared a few hundred thousand posts using My Opera itself, but obviously that would be self-defeating. I considered torrents. They have many advantages, not least of which is that the more popular they are the faster they (ought to) go. But it would be more likely to be a constant drain on my Internet volume, which is currently limited to a minuscule 100GB. (I can make do with it, and I don't want to pay more.) I don't think the ISPs here understand that even buying a game on Steam these days might use up 100GB within a half hour.

Anyway, the best solution seems to be sharing it all on Wuala. Downloading all the files should be easy through the Opera Links panel, or some equivalent extension on another browser. Sharing it from this very server is also an option, but in the unlikely case that there's a lot of interest I figure it's better to have it elsewhere.

Download backup files from Wuala

I won't share too much until I've done a data integrity check and some pruning. These initial files are mostly to (hopefully) get someone interested in processing the available data in some way. To that end, I penned down a few suggestions.

Some technical information: 3,331,270 items, totalling 4.7 GB.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: My Opera Backup
Reply #50
If you mean Aria2 continued where qBittorrent left off, the answer is no. Aria2 keeps an .aria2 file around as long as it's pulling, in order to know where to continue after an obstruction. When it doesn't find the file (and of course it didn't find it now because qBittorrent doesn't do .aria2 files), there's no other way but to start afresh.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #51
No, I mean that if you're actually getting a download then that must mean the webseed is working. Unless anyone else downloaded it in the meantime and is seeding. :)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #52
All downloaded now. Aria2 always was the best. I should not have begun trying those graphical torrent thingies.

https://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15198634#Comment_15198634

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #53
Is the torrent thingy still relevant? I hope you keep doors open for some odd geeky fans :)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #54
I don't know about the longevity of the seed server, but in principle, sure. :P

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #55
Do you know of this storage place? https://files.secureserver.net/
Is it sufficient?

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #56
I couldn't say. Can you even sign up for the place?

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #57

Can you even sign up for the place?

Not planning to :left:

It's just that someone was hosting a half giga file there...