Skip to main content

Topic: Best language resource(s) to use?  (Read 1919 times)

• Colonel Rebel
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Best language resource(s) to use?
Firstly,  :cheers: to all!

I need to learn conversational German before September arrives. I am all too well aware of Rosetta Stone, but I am unable to justify spending $300-400 on it's equipment. Anyone know of any decent language resources that might be available, or indeed, that anyone on here can vouch for personally? Free would be nice, but I am willing to go up to about $35 or so, if need be.

I have downloaded Duolingo and Mindsumo on my IPad, but don't know much about them, other than they are free. I'll be trying them shortly.

Thanks to all, and hope you all have an excellent year!

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: Best language resource(s) to use?
Reply #1
There's http://livemocha.com/ which might be worth giving a go.

You could also try to see if something out of copyright appeals. A quick search gave https://archive.org/details/exercisesinconv00schrgoog (although that's to assist teachers)

There's also open textbooks.
Community: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/German
Professional: https://courses.dcs.wisc.edu/wp/readinggerman/

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #2
Goethe Institute might be helpful.

Also there are a big number of resources around.  YouTube has plenty, the challenge is to pick out the good from the dross. Sweden doesn't have a British Council or Goethe institute, so as an immigrant to Sweden I got an "official" list of Swedish language resources, which included random acts of YouTube.

Rosetta-LiveMocha use the one size fits all-approach. All languages use the same structure as if they were the same, and that is absolutely not the case. What's hard in Czech is not hard in Standard Chinese and vice versa. On the other hand if you learn many languages it makes learning e.g. Hindi more familiar.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I would also endorse Goethe-Institut, even though I am not directly familiar with them. In the French equivalent Institut français I made some real progress with French against all expectations.

Normally I learn best on my own. This means I am very bad at recommending methods to others, because what works for me works only for me.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #4
This looks pretty decent http://www.learndutch.org

Maybe there's something like that for German too :P

• Colonel Rebel
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate it!  :beer: :cheers:

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Heavens above Colonel you are really aiming high learning it by September and you don't even come from Glasgow.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #7
Of course you should also get hold of some German speakers, not too many, not too few, and some German beer, not too many, not too few. That is the beer immersion method.

• Colonel Rebel
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8

Of course you should also get hold of some German speakers, not too many, not too few, and some German beer, not too many, not too few. That is the beer immersion method.

Quite liking the sound of this method, especially the latter bit!   :cheers:

ETA: No Mr. Howie, not the whole language; that would take years. I just want to be able to communicate basic, conversational German.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
An amazing new Russian discovery: Etruscans are Russians (along with the discovery that the whole world was originally Russian). The most convincing argument that makes the case goes as follows:

As for me, the name "Etruscan" (Этрусский) is enough. As with many Russian words, it's a composite: "Et" ("Эт") means "this is/these are", while "ruscan" ("русский") means, well, "Russian". You can't get a clearer message than that!
This is just the tip of the iceberg. The iceberg itself can be found at chronologia.org. They have well-produced documentaries on YT too, but I'm not going to link to them.

Another amazing discovery: According to Johannes Goropius Becanus, his home town dialect was the original language in paradise, because words in it are shorter than in Latin and Hebrew, and a name like Noah obviously comes from Flemish nood.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #10
but I'm not going to link to them.
You could always use CODE.
Code: [Select]
http://link I don't want to actually link on account of search engine algorithm stuff

The global historiography simply can not permit the very thought that the Slavs (and, in particular, Russian) were not simply the inhabitants of Pripyat marshes in the early Middle Ages, but the direct co-tribesmen of the ancient tribe of the Etruscans, who lived in Italy in the II millennium BC, whose culture, as is commonly believed, laid the foundation for the Ancient Rome.
Boy, someone's got an inferiority complex. Inventing a direct lineage to Rome is so a thousand years ago. :P

• Belfrager
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11

An amazing new Russian discovery: Etruscans are Russians (along with the discovery that the whole world was originally Russian). The most convincing argument that makes the case goes as follows:
:lol:

That Putin man must think that the world is full of idiots like his compatriots that supports him. And rjhowie.
A matter of attitude.

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Nah Belfrager you are one of the real idiots as you just get brained by Western propaganda led by America.

Well that is a sensible strategy of you colonel to get some basics in as part of your plan to enjoy Germany so good for you.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

• Macallan
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #13
The global historiography simply can not permit the very thought that the Slavs (and, in particular, Russian) were not simply the inhabitants of Pripyat marshes in the early Middle Ages, but the direct co-tribesmen of the ancient tribe of the Etruscans, who lived in Italy in the II millennium BC, whose culture, as is commonly believed, laid the foundation for the Ancient Rome.
Boy, someone's got an inferiority complex. Inventing a direct lineage to Rome is so a thousand years ago. :P
Some wacko tribes in western/central Europe tried that, didn't end well.

• Macallan
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #14
Another amazing discovery: According to Johannes Goropius Becanus, his home town dialect was the original language in paradise, because words in it are shorter than in Latin and Hebrew, and a name like Noah obviously comes from Flemish nood.
Obviously the language of paradise was early modern english, as we know from the King James Bible.

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
A click-and-play IPA sound chart https://legisign.org/tiede/ipachart.html

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #16
That's pretty cool. :)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Here is a book on Russian stress patterns, how they historically developed and all that stuff. I was reading it in order to finally be able to deduce Russian stress for myself if possible. It's a long and complicated read. Then I found the following lecture, which is basically a summary of the book.

The short answer: Russian stress is random. Nobody can deduce it.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #18
On that topic, here's a list of Dutch digital language resources:

https://www.neerlandistiek.nl/2018/09/de-beste-digitale-taalbronnen/

It pretty much agrees with my own go-to sources. I would quibble that there's no need to limit yourself to the WNT, but the link given there seems to (accidentally?) check all the dictionaries accessible through that particular search interface.