Skip to main content

Topic: What's going on in Benelux? (Read 17304 times)

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
What's going on in Benelux?
Opération antiterroriste en Belgique: la police visée par des menaces, une interpellation à Molenbeek

Not sure if Lesoir.be is some major news source over there, but I have had it in my bookmarks for at least a decade. The ongoing story in the news right now is a major counterterrorist operation in Verviers, Belgium.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: What's going on in Benelux?
Reply #75
Ah? Presumably your train system should be brought up to spec sometime?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Rail_Traffic_Management_System

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #76
I'm sure that our systems are up to some specs just fine. The EU does not regulate the signals down to the second, does it?

There are discrepancies in the implementation of EU standards that Brussels barely knows (or cares) about. I remember some five years ago or more a funny news about an EU report on railway travel delays. Romania came out on top: No delays whatsoever. It was because, according to the Romanian definition, a delay starts when the train is delayed more than 15 minutes. Less than that is not a delay in Romania, so Romania did not report any delays. You think auditors from Brussels go to check things in Romania? Nope, never. Nobody in Brussels is so crazy as to go to Romania. When you got a job as an official in Brussels, you stay in Brussels; that's the essence of EU jobs.

Rail Baltic(a) also looks like a massive success from Brussels, while people on the spot observe horrifying madness, yet reports about the madness do not reach any authority, because the reporters are not officials. For example, this is the first completed section of Rail Baltica in Lithuania. Does this look "standard gauge" to you? Does it look navigable? Does it look high-speed? Yet it is 100% Brussels-approved https://www.railwaygazette.com/infrastructure/first-section-of-rail-baltica-inaugurated/41522.article

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #77
I'm sure that our systems are up to some specs just fine. The EU does not regulate the signals down to the second, does it?
I believe the main reason for longer times would be larger sections of track that are seen as occupied. (E.g., 5 km instead of 2 km.)

• jax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Reply #78
Ah? Presumably your train system should be brought up to spec sometime?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Rail_Traffic_Management_System

I think Chinese HSR trains run on ETCS signalling, but still use 5 minutes lead time. That means that the trains are minimum 32 km (20 miles) distant on the fastest trains.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #79
I think Chinese HSR trains run on ETCS signalling, but still use 5 minutes lead time. That means that the trains are minimum 32 km (20 miles) distant on the fastest trains.
The crossing in question shouldn't see trains going more than 50 km/h; it's in the middle of Helmond.