Skip to main content

Topic: Today's Bad News (Read 65988 times)

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Today's Bad News

• rjhowie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Today's Bad News
Reply #425
Democrats are in a mess and I think that Trump man wil continue to be in the White House so I am glad I live somwhere less nutty!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

• krake
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #426
Democrats are in a mess and I think that Trump man wil continue to be in the White House so I am glad I live somwhere less nutty!
Congratulations for getting rid of Merkel and Macron but be careful!
From now on you'll have to deal with Trump to make Britain great again. ;)

Reply #427
It just keeps on raining. 25 inches already this year!

• ersi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #428
This time my vacation will be sad, very sad. I was not permitted to board a flight to the USA because my ESTA (the so-called visa waiver programme) was not valid. It was valid when I booked the flight, but meanwhile I happened to get a new passport. It turns out that ESTA is attached to the passport and when you get a new passport you also need to apply (and pay) for a new ESTA.

As I have been saying, this so-called visa waver programme does not waive any visas. It is a visa programme in itself.

Lately, EU has started fully emulating these visa procedures with a programme called ETIAS that applies to visa-free countries. The programme reads as follows,
There are many countries who are not in the European Union (EU) whose citizens can enter the EU Schengen Zone without needing a visa. Specifically, there are currently 62 countries who are not in the EU, but are visa free.

[...]

To reduce procedures and wait times, as well as address the security concerns, the European Commission (EC) has come up with a solution - ETIAS.

[...]

If what you filled out on the application form is correct, and you are eligible and not risky for the ETIAS, then you will be approved. This whole procedure is expected to be completed in only a few minutes.

[...]

The ETIAS will not burden your finances a lot. It is planned to have the ETIAS cost only €7 for each application. This is only valid for adults over 18 years old, as those under 18 will not have to pay any fees. You can pay the fee by debit or credit card. Immediately after you complete the payment, the ETIAS authorization will start processing.

[...]

If approved, the ETIAS might be valid for 3 years or until the end of validity of the travel document registered during application, whichever comes first. Whether you will get the first period of validity or the second depends on the system's evaluation of your information and risk.
So, dear visa free travellers, fill in your visa form, pay for the answer, and the answer is attached to your passport, exactly like a visa. Then you can travel visa free!

EU established these procedures to retaliate the same procedures that USA had established against EU citizens. (Because diplomacy doesn't work when it comes to USA.) I am quite sure that by now there are more countries where visa free travel means going through just another visa procedure.

Welcome to the 21st century!

Well, whatever. Even if I get no money back, flight tickets are cheap these days.

• Frenzie
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #429
Jeesh, contrast that to a decade ago (or more than a decade by now?) when you could just buy a ticket to the US for the next day or probably even the next few hours and jump on a plane to the US more or less on a whim. Because there was no visa...

Well, fingers crossed. :-/